Many trucks travel through Newark to deliver goods throughout the state. Unfortunately, collisions involving these large commercial vehicles often result in devastating injuries and significant property damage. Massive tractor-trailers and big rigs can do huge amounts of damage to motorists and passengers of much smaller cars.
If you recently sustained injuries in a trucking crash, speak to an experienced attorney at Doroshow, Pasquale, Krawitz, and Bhaya for help recovering from your losses. A skilled Newark truck accident lawyer can help you pursue fair compensation for all your damages.
Common Causes of Trucking Crashes in Newark
Trucks pose a large risk to other vehicles on the road due to their size and unwieldy nature. As such, truck operators must take extra care when driving. For instance, trucks take more time to start, stop, and change directions. This can be particularly dangerous if a trucker is not paying attention on the road, as the reaction time of their vehicle is already shortened.
There are many frequent contributing factors to trucking collisions besides negligence and driver error. Other common causes of truck wrecks are as follows:
- Cargo problems: failure to evenly distribute, balance, and secure all cargo can cause the items to fall out, spill, or leak. Shifting cargo can also cause the truck to become unbalanced and more difficult to handle.
- Mechanical problems: defective or worn-out parts can lead to a serious crash.
- Bad weather: poor weather can lead to dangerous road conditions such as icy roads and low visibility.
- Blind spots: trucks often have large blind spots, and their drivers may be unable to see surrounding cars.
- Distracted driving: truckers need to be fully alert and attentive to their surroundings to avoid collisions.
- Driver fatigue: driving for long hours without sufficient rest can cause truckers to be mentally and physically exhausted, leading to more errors on the road.
Trucking Work Limit Violations
Trucking companies often force their drivers to take dangerous risks and drive long hours to meet tight deadlines. To prevent crashes, federal law sets limits on truckers’ road driving time, but some may feel pressured by their employers to ignore those regulations.
After a tractor-trailer incident, it is crucial to meet with an experienced local attorney to determine what caused the crash. A truck collision attorney can look through the evidence to identify which party might bear legal responsibility, such as the truck driver, mechanic, or trucking company.
Injuries in Tractor-Trailer Crashes
Because of their size, trucks can cause a great deal of damage in a collision. Trucking crashes often result in multi-vehicle pileups, and the passengers of smaller cars often suffer the following types of injuries:
- Lacerations, cuts, and bruises
- Broken bones
- Neck and spinal injuries, ranging from minor whiplash to total paralysis
- Head injuries, including brain damage
- Internal bleeding and organ damage
For anyone injured in this type of incident, a truck crash attorney could work tirelessly to obtain a damages award to cover all their losses. If a severe trucking collision leads to a fatality, our legal team can help the surviving family recover compensation in a wrongful death suit.
Call a Newark Truck Accident Attorney for Legal Guidance
If you suffered serious injuries in a trucking wreck, reach out for legal assistance from a Newark truck accident lawyer as soon as possible. At Doroshow, Pasquale, Krawitz, and Bhaya, our team of dedicated attorneys can protect your interests in insurance negotiations or civil court. Consult one of our skilled lawyers to learn what legal options are available to you and your family. Contact us today.